Creating a Design System: The Online Guide
A step-by-step guide based on our own case study
Earlier this year, our CEO Marcin Treder wrote a series of posts describing his work in helping to build UXPin’s internal design system.
We wanted to condense his experience into a simple step-by-step guide. A quick reference for anyone about to embark on or already in the middle of their design systems process.
We’re very proud to introduce our open online guide to building a design system. Our goal was to make the guide as thorough and technical as possible based on lessons we’ve learned the hard way in our journey so far:
- Create the UI Inventory for the Design System
- Get Organizational Buy-In for the Design System
- Build a Multidisciplinary Design Systems Team
- Establish Rules and Principles for the Design System
- Build the Color Palette for the Design System
- Build the Typographic Scale for the Design System
- Implement an Icons Library for the Design System
- Standardize Other Style Properties
- Build the First Design System Pattern
- Run a Sprint Retrospective
- Recommended Resources
We hope this will help product teams get a head start on scaling design consistency and efficiency.
If you’ve worked on a design system yourself, we’d love to hear your thoughts.